Monday, July 12, 2010

Berry Heaven

Berries Berries Berries Yeah!
One of the main draws to coming to the Pacific Northwest was the berries. We just missed the wild raspberry season last summer, but I found a farmnearby that had Strawberries and Raspberries that you could pick yourself. So last week we took the kids out and we went crazy!

We came home with a Haul and I had to make my new favorite jam, thanks to my Sister-in-Law Kim. I thought I'd share the recipe. I promise it will be your new favorite too!

Strawberry (or Raspberry) Pear Jam
8 cups sugar
4 cups pureed pears (fresh is OK but more work. I use canned)
1 package sure jell
1 package strawberry (or raspberries)
1 cup smashed berries (either strawberry or raspberry)

Bring sugar, pears, sure-jell, and jello to a boil. Boil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Take off heat and add smashed berries. (I put on a rubber glove and smooshed them in my hands. Kinda fun!). Ladle into prepared jars, either quart or pint. Attach lids that have been sitting in super hot water to soften the rubber, and rings. Turn jars over and put them on your counter upside down for about 1-2 hours. Turn them right side up and leave them alone for 24 hours.

You're done! Doesn't it look super yummy?!?!

7 comments:

  1. So sad we couldn't make it to the farm! It looks delicious. You are welcome to give me a jar of jam anytime ;) I will have to try that recipe.
    Jessica Myrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like fun! I've had that jam and it is delish! Great work on the pickin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That jam looks dso good! Maybe you could bring a jar or two down for me to the ranch and I can buy them from you! Or I can make my own but I am sure picking your own berries makes all the difference. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie and I just gave you a blog award over at thehappyscraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey there. im fairly new to canning. so is this recipe meant to be kept in the refridgerator or can it be left out...and how long will it keep in the sealed jars. furthermore, can you process this recipe in a water bath?
    thanks a million!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps....its totally unrelated but my sister in laws name is shelley carroll- same spelling and everything!!!! neat!

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button