Thursday, November 8, 2012

Homemade Salsa - Canned

I'm still working on all the veggies I got from Market on the Move.  This time it's Tomatoes.  Since I'm the only one in my family that likes to eat them fresh, and there is no possible way I could eat all of them before they go bad, I decided to can some Salsa.  It's our favorite tomato thing in our house and we go through a ton of it.  Living in the Southwest and all that.    I've never made it with yellow grape tomatoes though and I thought it added a wonderful color combination.  Here's the quick recipe:


Homemade Salsa

Wash Tomatoes.
Cut and remove seeds from your tomatoes.  
I just ran my finger along the insides and the seeds kind of squish out. 
Not my favorite step, but it makes the salsa much nicer without all those seeds.




This batch will fill 1 1/2 quart jars with Salsa.  I made 2 batches.

Puree tomatoes in a blender to equal 4 cups of tomato puree.  Make it as smooth or as chunky as you want.
Put tomato puree in large bowl and add the following:

1-4oz can of diced green chiles.  I prefer Hatch's fire roasted.
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 bunch cilantro cut in small pieces
1/8 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp crushed red chili peppers
(I'm a baby when it comes to heated salsa.  1 tsp is my max.  If you want it hotter, by all means add more.)

Stir well and ladle in to prepared jars.
Attach lids and rings and process in boiling water or steam canner for 15 minutes.
Let rest 24 hours, then lable and add to your pantry.



Homemade Salsa.
The best thing you can do to a Tomato!



7 comments:

  1. I was just wondering about acidity. I notice you don't have lemon juice or vinegar in your recipe. How do you compensate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in the tomato. Tomatoes are a high acid food. They are the only fruit/vegetable that you can use a water bath to can.
      All other veggies are very low in acidity so you have to pressure can them.

      I hope that helps!
      Shelley

      Delete
  2. Tomatoes may have the right acidity but what about the peppers, green onion and cilantro you use?

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button