Friday, November 9, 2012

Fabulous Applesauce

 Apple season is upon us.  I love this time of year and Apples are my favorite.  I wanted to make applesauce for a while and finally had a chance to do it.  It's not really time consuming especially if you have a pressure cooker.  I used 4 different varieties of apples.  The combination makes Fab-u-lous Applesauce and there isn't any sugar in it at all.  Even better.

I used Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala, & Jonathan Apples. Really, you just need multiple varieties. Choose your favorites.  I just wouldn't add a tart apple like Granny Smith.  Let's save those for Pie Filling.

Wash them and then cut out core.  No need to skin them.
Put apple pieces in pressure cooker in steamer basket with 1 cup water in the bottom.


This is the pressure cooker I use.  There is a link on the side to Amazon were you can get one of your own.

Heat on high to bring pressure to 2nd ring.
Remove from heat and place in sink to run cold water over the sides of the pan.  
This will drop the pressure rapidly.  Ladle out cooked apples and put in blender.  
Blend to desired consistency.  
I left mine in for about 1 minute for a smooth texture.

Pour hot applesauce into prepared jars and attach lids and rings.

You could add cinnamon or other spices to the applesauce at this point but I wanted mine plain so I could doctor it up later if I wanted to.

Process in boiling water or steam canner for 20 minutes.
Let rest 24 hours. Lable and add to your pantry.



Homemade Applesauce.  Fabulously Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button