Friday, November 16, 2012

My Pita Jungle

I recently went to lunch with a friend to Pita Jungle.  While the food was good and it was nice to reconnect with my friend, I thought I could make this at home.  I love pitas and hummus and after going to Shar's class, I now know how to make them at home.  Plus now I know exactly what goes into it and I can make it as healthy as I want.  I will share the recipe for Pitas, and Hummus.  
Seriously, both are Fabulous!


Honey Wheat Pita Pocket Bread

Makes 9 pockets

In your mixer combine the following:

2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Dough Enhancer
2 Tbsp Dough Relaxer
2 cups high gluten flour or 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
2 Tbsp yeast
1 cup fresh ground whole wheat flour

Mix gently.  Add enough flour, wheat or white, to gather dough into a soft ball.  
Knead 8 minutes to develop gluten.

Remove a golf ball sized piece of dough and place on a well floured surface.
Roll out into a disc from the center out.  Do not roll to the edge.  This allows the pocket to form.

Place dough on parchment paper and let rest about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone in place.

 I doubled the recipe since I have a large family.  Plus they freeze well, so make extra to save for later.

Bake for 4 minutes.

 Remove and quickly put in a heat proof plastic bag and let them sweat a little.  If too much moisture accumulates in the bag, open it and let dry.

Let cool and cut to fill.
Aren't they beautiful?




 Cilantro Lime Hummus

First we need to cook the garbanzo beans.  You can use canned if you want.
I used my Kuhn Rikon Pressure cooker.  If you soak the beans overnight, it only takes 15 minutes at pressure.  Otherwise it takes about 60 minutes.

In pressure cooker add 2 cups dry beans with 6 cups water.


 I use about 1 tsp of Crystalized Ginger when I cook the beans.  It helps decrease the Fluffy-Tummy effect beans can have.  
I always use it when I cook beans, any kind.

Bring to pressure, set timer, and reduce to low but still maintaining pressure.  When timer is done, remove from heat and let presure drop naturally.





 In a blender combine:

3 cups soft cooked Garbanzo beans, drained, but reserve liquid
Juice and zest from one lime
1 fresh clove garlic
1/2 cup tightly packed chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp Tahini paste (ground sesame seeds)
1/4 - 2/3 cups bean liquid

Blend well to desired consistency.
Store in airtight container in the fridge.

Serve with pita chips, or fresh vegetables.

So Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button