Monday, March 25, 2013

DIY Mod Podge and more Easter stuff!

If you read my blog with any kind of regularity, 
you will already know that I'm a "From Scratch" kind of girl.  
Especially when it comes to food.  
I rarely buy pre-made anything.  
Mostly because it's horrible for you, but also because I want to know everything that goes in to what I make. 
Plus it's much cheaper that way.

I've wanted to make my own mod podge and when I've searched for a recipe, 
it's ALWAYS - ALWAYS Elmers glue and water.  
Well I wanted something that I could make with ingredients I already had on hand.
It's a simple project, I just need item A to stick to item B.  
No glossy finish.  
Simple.

So here's the recipe:

3 parts Flour
1 parts Sugar
3-4 parts water {to desired consistency}
Whisk these together and cook over medium low heat until thickened.


Remove from heat and add 1 tsp white vinegar.  Stir.
Let cool before using.
Store in airtight container in the Fridge for up to 1 week.


Easy. And no Elmers to be found.


I've loved these book page eggs I've seen all over pinterest.  
So for just pennys I made some of my own.
The bag of eggs was like $1.75 at Walmart.  
I only used a couple of eggs.  
Plenty of eggs left for the hunts this week.  
I also am using more of the pages from the book I ripped up for the last project.  
And of course my homemade glue.  
Just cut the paper to just barely cover the egg, brush plenty of glue all over the egg and attach the book page, smoothing out any bubbles in the paper. 
It's really messy and I did not want to touch my camera with glue-y hands 
so no pics of the actual covering the egg part.  

It's easy though, just messy.
Let dry completely.


This is my tablescape now. 
The banner is one I shared last year.
The pots were on clearance at Joanns and I cut some vinyl using the 
Storybook font on my Cricut to make the numbers on the smaller pots.



The filler is just yellow paper that I ran through my paper shredder just like I did here.  
None of that nasty plastic grass for me!








Happy Easter!

Update June 2014:
It's been a year and there isn't any fading or browning of the eggs.  They still look as good as the day I made them.

11 comments:

  1. how long does this last? ... does it turn yellow? I see you used for the Easter eggs but have you tried this on something you wanted to last for long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't turn yellow once it's on the project. The mod podge itself doesn't last more than a week in the fridge once its made. My egs still look exactly the same now, 6 months later. Maybe if you wanted it to last longer then you could add a clear acrylic coat to the top. I just wanted the paper to stick to the eggs, not seal it. You would have to add another product to do that.
      Good luck!
      Let me know how it turns out.
      Shelley

      Delete
  2. What kind of sugar? Powdered or crytal sugar?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is regular crystalized or table sugar.
      Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  3. came across this looking for a "glue" recipe - I've used something like this, and to my dismay, found if you store your item, as I did in a attic, there are some kind of bugs that eat this stuff silly. It's the flour/sugar. Also, any salt dough items will be chewed too. It's useable, but I would suggest after you "glue" you cover your item in a good coat of any sealer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. will this last outside in rain and other weather conditions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think so since it is flour and paper. Maybe if you added a good waterproof sealer it might.

      Delete

Print It Button