I'm so excited about this project.
I love it when what's in my head turns out exactly the way I wanted it to.
Today was one of those days.
While strolling through my favorite fabric store SAS, I stumbled upon this fabulous piece of grey stripe.
I've been on the hunt for a stripe for a long time with no luck, then found this one.
I love it!
You can't really tell from the pictures but there is a slight glittery edge to each stripe. Just enough bling, but not too much.
I got 3 yards because I knew it was going to be a Chevron Maxi, I just didn't know how much I would need to make the Chevron lines.
I used about 2 1/2 yards, but there is plenty left on the sides for a few more projects.
I was a little intimidated at trying to cut the chevron right and pondered how for a while.
Once it was all figured out, the skirt was super easy to make.
Let me show you how.
I'm using another Chevron skirt I have as a pattern.
But if you don't have one, measure your waist and hips at the widest. Divide each number by 4 and add 1 inch. This will be the top measurements for the skirt, then just continue the A-line to the length you want.
I'm using freezer paper to make my pattern.
Once the pattern is cut out, then decide how deep you want the chevron to be.
Mine is gradual and not as deep as the blue/black skirt I already have.
I used my measuring tape to make the stripe across the pattern.
It goes to a V in the center front.
Now cut out each pannel separately.
You will need two with the pattern right side up, and two with the pattern upside down.
Line up the stripe in the fabric with the pattern each time, and you will have perfect placement of the chevron.
Once the pieces are cut out, line them up pinning each stripe like shown.
This will keep the point placement perfect. (Ha! Say that 3 times fast!)
Gently sew the panels together with a wide stitch length. You don't want the knit to pucker.
I straight stitched the panels together, then serged the edges to finish them.
Determine the length you want your skirt and cut off the excess. Then add an elastic waistband. You can see how to do this here.
For the bottom hem, I serged the edge then topstitched the hem in place. And done!