Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sneaky Maple Apple Oatmeal Bread

I've discovered a new favorite bread.  The best part it that it's super sneaky.  I promise you'll be amazed at all the nutritional yummy-ness packed in to these gorgeous loaves.  Let's get started.



Maple Apple Oatmeal Bread
Since we will be adding in shredded apples, I found a super easy way to do it.  Fill your blender with water and add cored apples. 
I have a Vita-Mix.  
Best purchase ever!

Pulse apples until they are the size you want.

 Then  pour into a strainer and let sit while you assemble the other ingredients.  If I had thought of it, I would have used the apple water as the water for the bread.  I didn't this time, but I will next time.

 Next grind your wheat.  I used equal parts Hard Red and Hard White wheat.  I also threw in about a cup of 10 grain, and 1/2 cup of Quinoa.  Grind it all together to get a fine flour.  Again I used my Vita-Mix.  Can I just say it's extremely versatile!
Here's the 3 Grains.
This one is Hard White Wheat.
This one is Hard Red Wheat or 
also called Turkey Red.

 The Hard Red has a higher protein content and makes for a denser bread.  But for some reason, when you mix the two wheats together it makes an amazing light loaf of bread.

Lastly is Quinoa.  Pronounced KEEN-WA.  It is the only complete protein grain.  It also adds a wonderful nutty flavor to the bread.

Grind the following:
2 cups Hard White Wheat
2 cups Hard Red Wheat
1 cup 10 Grain cereal
1/2 cup Quinoa

Place in bowl and set aside.

In a large mixer combine in order: 
If you're using a Kitchen-Aid, you'll have to 1/2 the recipe.
4 cups warm water
1/2 cup Canola Oil (applesauce is an option)
1/2 cup maple syrup (Honey is an option)
1 Tbsp Maple Extract
2 beaten eggs
2 Tbsp sea salt
3 Tbsp Dough Enhancer
3 cups High Gluten bread flour or All purpose White flour
2 cups rolled oats (quick or regular)
2 cups of the freshly ground wheat flour
3 Tbsp instant Yeast

Mix for about a minute.  Let rest for about 1 minute.  Then turn mixer back on adding flour 1 cup at a time until dough cleans sides of bowl.  I alternated between white and wheat flour, although you could do all whole wheat.
Once dough cleans sides of bowl, cover and mix for 5 minutes.

Now add in  the 4 cups coarsely chopped apples.  You will have to add more flour to get the dough to clean the sides again.  Then mix for another 5 minutes.

Prepare bread pans by spraying with cooking spray.

Since it's mostly whole wheat, you only need to let it rise once.

Turn dough out onto counter and divide into 4 pieces.




In another pan pour about 1-2 cups quick oats.
Knead dough into loaves and roll in oats pressing to coat.
 Place dough in pans and slash the tops. I made 3 X's on mine.
Cover with plastic and let rise until bread is about 1-2 inches above the top of the pan.

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
When oven is preheated, remove plastic wrap and place in oven.
Drop temperature to 325 degrees.
Bake for about 40-45 minutes.  It's a longer baking time due to the water content of the apples.

 Let cool on racks.
 Slice and enjoy.  This was some of the softest bread I've made.  I love it when whole wheat comes out like that.  

Gone are the days of wheat bread door stops.  You're smiling because you know what I mean.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button