Monday, September 27, 2010

My John Hancock


Do you have a signature thing that you do where everyone knows it's made by you and it's requested at nearly every function?

I do.

It's Dinner Rolls.

Sunday dinner with the family. Thanksgiving. Special occasions. Church parties. The good part is that I really like making them. Little balls of yummy goodness, warm and slathered in butter. Well anything would be good slathered in butter but still. I made my signature for the church corn fest last week and decided I should share. I even took pictures. Maybe this will become your John Hancock. I don't mind sharing.

Dinner Rolls

1 1/2 cups milk - warm or scald
1/2 cups sugar or honey
1/2 cups oil or applesauce, it won't affect the end result, just the fat content
2 tsp salt
2 eggs beaten

Place above ingredients in mixer and mix slightly. Sprinkle 2 cups flour on top then add 2 Tbsp yeast on top of flour. Turn on mixer on low just long enough to let yeast get wet. Cover and let sit 3-4 minutes. Then add about 3 cups flour one at a time until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Mix for about 8-9 minutes. Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and start forming the balls. They should be about golf ball size.

Grab a piece of dough and tuck the sides around to the bottom to get a nice round top, then roll in both hands to make it ball shape. Place on greased cookie sheet. Leave enough space for the rolls to rise.Cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise till double in bulk again. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for about 11 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with shortening. Let cool slightly, add butter, and DIG IN!

I hope you enjoy my 'John Hancock!' I know we do!

2 comments:

  1. YUM, they look great! I will have to try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we SOOOOO enjoyed your John Hancock! Everyone LOVED them. Ryan said he doesn't think he's ever had rolls so light and fluffy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button