Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blueberry Banana Muffins, Strata, and Potatoes

Once again Sunday rolled around and it was time to make Breakfast.
I'm loving muffins right now and when I found these, I was hooked.

They are packed with
whole grain-y fruit-y goodness. 
And I made enough to tuck into my kids lunches for the next few days.

Yum.

I doubled the recipe, ... you know, big family, and I want extras for later.

But here goes.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl combine the following:
1/3 cup honey or sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Cream together until light and creamy.

Then add:
4 ripe bananas mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Mix to incorporate Bananas.

Add:

2 cups whole grain flour
 (mine is a combo of hard white wheat and buckwheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Stir until smooth.

Gently fold in 1/2 cup blueberries.
(I used frozen blueberries that I partially thawed in water then drained.)

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool sightly and enjoy!



 I paired the muffins with spinach eggs and country style potatoes.  They are super quick and easy to make.

For the Spinach strata, I chopped and sauteed 1/2 an onion in a pan with about 1 Tbsp olive oil.
Meanwhile wisk together about 6-8 eggs depending on the size of your family.
Pour in about 1/3 cup milk.  I used Almond Milk.
Pour egg mixture over onions. 
Wash and chop 2-3 cups of of spinach and sprinkle over egg mixture.
Sprinkle about 1/4 cup grated cheese over the top.  Just enough to add flavor, but not make it too heavy/fatty/etc.
Season to taste.  I use my favorite savory seasoning blend.

Cover and let cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
Check the center for done-ness.
If it's still runny, it's not done yet.
When done, let cool slightly then cut like a pie and serve.


Meanwhile I was doing potatoes too.  They went in the oven after the muffins baked.
I cubed 6-7 potatoes.  The amount is up to you depending on how many you're feeding.
Place potato cubes in a microwave safe bowl, add about 1/4 cup water, cover and cook on high for 5 minutes.
Remove, stir and put back to cook for another 5 minutes.

Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
When the microwave is done, turn potatoes out onto baking sheet and spread out.
Drizzle about 2 Tbsp olive oil over potatoes and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings.

Turn oven on to broil and put potatoes in for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven, stir slightly and return to broil for another 5 minutes.

Done.



 Here's the muffins again.


Now for my plate.
Whole Grain Blueberry Banana Muffins.
Spinach Egg Strata.
Country Style Potatoes.
Yummy.
Healthy.


Dig in!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button