Thursday, December 22, 2011

Twisted Ribbon Necklace Tutorial

I found something similar on Pinterest. But I decided to change it up a little.  This project was so easy and quick.  It made a perfect Christmas Present for my Sister-In-Law.  I loved it so much, I had to make one for me too.

Here's the supplies:
 Two Spools of ribbon.  I used satin and unwired sheer about the same size.
A string of beads.  I used one string per necklace. Try to keep the ribbon and the beads approximately the same size.
Upolstery thread or embroidery floss. 
Large needle and scissors.

 I cut the two strands about 40 inches long.
 Un-string the beads and double the thread.  Tie a knot at the end.
Cross the ribbon in the middle of the 2 strands like this.  Double stitch in the end as shown.

 Start threading the beads. After each bead bring two pieces of ribbon up and over and stitch in place.  I twisted the satin ribbon each time to keep the shiny side out.

After 2 beads, stitch back through one bead to hold it together better.


I did that 3 times. 
Front, middle and end.

 It will start to look like this.


 Use all the beads.
 At the end stitch back and forth a few times to secure the end and knot the thread.  Cut off long ends of thread.

Tie a knot in the end of the ribbons to hide the thread.
Hold the necklace up and decide how low you want the beads to sit.  Cut another length of satin ribbon to finish the necklace, long enough to double it.  Poke the ribbon through the starting point and pull ribbon through to the middle.

 Tie a knot in the added ribbon like this to secure.
 Tie a double knot in the ends of the ribbons and you're done!

So lovely, easy and quick! Can't wait to wear it!

1 comment:

  1. Sondia, So glad you were inspired by my necklace! Happy making to you! Love the color choice - pewter and silver, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button