Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Death by Chocolate Turtles

One more day of things I made for the Scout Auction.  You'd think I'm already giving more than enough being the wife of the Scoutmaster.  I mean nearly 2 weeks of vacation time and one weekend a month for campouts, but I really love baking and making and sharing, so there you go.

This last one is named 
Death by Chocolate Turtles.  
So yummy!  So easy!

First lets make the carmel.  Actually it's Dulce de Leche, but it is super yumm and easy to make.

Get a can of Sweetened Condensed milk. Don't open it.  Just the whole can.  Place in a stock pot and cover with water.  Put enough water in to make sure the can stays submerged.
Turn on the heat to medium and bring to a boil.  Boil the can for about 1 hour and let cool.  
 After cooling, open and you have sweet carmely goodness!  Dulce!
 I forgot to take pictures of the brownie process, but this recipe really can stand on it's own.  I got it from my friends [K] and [D] in Washington.  Ever since they shared the recipe, my kids want brownies instead of cake for their birthdays.  It's that good!

[D's] Brownie Recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a stockpot bring 2 sticks unsalted butter to a full boil.
Remove from heat and stir in 8 Tbsp cocoa powder.  Mix well.
Stir in 2 cups sugar and mix well.
Stir in 1 cup flour and mix well.
Add 4 eggs and mix well.
Then add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp vanilla.  Mix well.

I add 1 cup chocolate chips to the batter but that is totally optional, I just like a little more chocolate.

Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 pan.  For the turtles, I baked the brownies in two 8 inch pie pans.  I wanted the pie shape for the pieces.

Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.  For some reason my oven takes longer than the origional recipe says.  Just check for doneness after about 18 minutes and add time as necessary.

 Let cool and cut into wedges.
Arrainge wedges on plate.  Since these were for the auction, I put them on cardboard wrapped in tinfoil.
 Drizzle the Dulce de Leche over each wedge allowing some to spill over.
Chop some pecans and sprinkle on top.
Finally lightly sprinkle some coarse Kosher salt on top and you're done.

When I brought them in, one of the women said, "Death by Chocolate Turtles huh, I'd be happy to die by Chocolate Turtles!"

Again, these were one of the top sellers at the auction!

1 comment:

Print It Button