Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Beadboards and Monograms

 I started this project back when I did the bookshelf, but never got it finished.  I'm so happy it's done.  I love having this up in my bedroom.

 Here's another view.


Now for the how to:  I printed out large letters in the font that I wanted. You could also just purchase pre-cut letters from Joanns, or Hobby Lobby, or Michaels.

Then cut them out and traced them on some particle board that I had.
After cutting the letters out on the scroll saw, I put them on cardboard on top of push pins.  This keeps them off the surface for easy staining and drying. I used ebony wood finish and applied 2 coats.
 While those letters were drying, I used the same stain on the beadboard.  I really like the aged gray color I got with the stain on the beadboard.

 It got a light sanding to reveal a little of the white.
 Next I used some Liquid nails to glue the pieces together. The beadboard was put together along the grooves, then the letters glued on top. It took me a while to decide the exact orientation I wanted with the letters.

 Here's them laid out.  I made the ampersand bigger on purpose.


After everything was glued down, I covered it with a layer of plastic to protect the wood, then something heavy to keep things glued down tight and let it dry overnight. 

Attach your hanging hardware and done!



 I added some black burlap rosettes to the mirrors from Ikea as accents to the beadboard sign.








I am in the process of changing my bedding.  I will share as the pieces come together.

 I'm so excited!  It's going to be gorgeous!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button