Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Homemade Rosemary Garlic Tomato Sauce


I recently discovered  Market on the Move.  It's a Fruit and vegetable co-op that happens every Saturday around the Phoenix area. You get about 60 lbs of fruit and veggies for $10.  The selection for type of veggie is limited, but you can get a ton of what they do have. Last time I got a lot of zucchini and yellow squash that is currently shredded and sitting in my freezer.  This time I got a lot of tomatoes because I wanted to make my own tomato sauce.  I found a recipe in the Ball Blue book that I modified slightly.  Here's what I did:

Rosemary-Garlic Tomato Sauce
Wash 20 lbs of tomatoes.  I used vinegar in the water to help clean them well.
Prepare a large stock pot with boiling water.  Place tomatoes in the water a few at a time and leave in for about 4 minutes or until the skins start to split.  Remove tomatoes and place in sink or large bowl with ice water to quickly cool them.

 Using your paring knife, slip the skins off the tomatoes and remove the stem.


I put my tomatoes, about 3-4 at a time in my blender and mixed to puree the tomatoes.

Mince 1 whole garlic clove and finely chop one onion.

 Remove the leaves from 2-3 sprigs of rosemary and chop finely.  Saute the garlic and onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil until tender.
Combine the tomato puree and the sauteed garlic and onion in a large stock pot.  Add chopped rosemary.  You can also substitute fresh basil for the rosemary, about 1/4 cup.
Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce has reduced down to desired consistency.  I did mine down about 1/3, the book says down by 1/2.  It's up to you.  Stir occationally to prevent sticking.
This was my favorite step because my house smelled like a little Italian Bistro.  So yummy!

Prepare your jars and get out your boiling water or steam canner.Place lids in a small saucepan with about 1 inch of water.  Heat on Medium-low or until bubbles just start to form.  This softens the rubber on the lids to ensure a good seal on the jars.

In each pint jar, add 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice, then fill with the reduced tomato sauce.  Adjust lids and rings and place in canner.  Process for 35 minutes.

Remove and place on cooling rack.  Let sit for 24 hours, then write the date and contents on the lid and add to your pantry.

 Homemade Rosemary Garlic Sauce.
Delish!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button