Sunday, September 9, 2012

One Packed Little Muffin!


I had a bunch of Bananas and Apples so I went on a hunt for a tasty little muffin that would incorporate the two. 
 I found this powerhouse of a muffin that is whole grain.  Even better!  

I added a struessel topping and they came out perfect!  

Sunday Breakfast worthy - Absoulutely!
Brunch worthy - Of course!
Gifts - Yep!
Lunches for the kiddos - You better believe it!  
Mine are definitely getting one tucked into their lunch tomorrow!

Whole Wheat Apple Banana Oatmeal Muffins
(my husband said by the time you say all that, they will be gone.  Yes, Yes they were!)

First grind your wheat.  I'm liking my new wheat combo that is:
1 cup Hard White Wheat
1 cup Hard Red Wheat
1 cup Soft White wheat
1 Cup Kamut
1/2 cup Quinoa
For some reason that combination turns out amazing!  I grind a batch up, use what I need for the recipe, and freeze the rest in a zip-lock bag for later.

Next, chop 1 apple as shown in the blender.  I doubled the recipe so there are more apples in the blender.  I'll give you the basic recipe but feel free to double it and put some away for gifts or lunches for the kiddos.




I like to use this method to chop apples again and again.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a Large mixing bowl add the following:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats (Instant or Bob's Rolled 6 grain which is my personal favorite)

Mix together then add wet ingredients:
1 Tbsp molasses
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
2 eggs
2 tsp skim milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 shredded apple
2 ripe bananas broken into 1 inch size pieces
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Blend well then add:
1/4 cup chocolate chips.

Fill muffin tins lined with cupcake liners.  I used a ice-cream scoop to scoop out the dough.  Fill til flush with pan.

Topping:
In a small bowl blend with pastry blender
1 Tbsp cold butter cut up
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp whole wheat flour

Mixture should resemble course cornmeal.

Top each muffin with a scant Tablespoon of topping.

Bake at 350 degees for 18-20 minutes.

Remove, let cool slightly and serve.

A powerhouse little muffin filled to the brim with nutrition and super yummyness!





I wrapped some of these little beauties for my kiddos lunches tomorrow.  When I asked if they wanted one in their lunches, I got a resounding and slightly deafining YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button