Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pies Pies Pies Yeah!

I know.  Thanksgiving was last week.  I did make these before Thanksgiving but didn't get the pictures uploaded in time.  Better late than never right?

The crust recipe is from King Arthur Flour.  I love their site.  So much good stuff.  I used to use Martha Stewart's recipe all the time for crust, but I think I like KAF's better.

You will need:
2 1/2 cups unbleached pastry flour, or all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
Sift together or use pastry blender to combine flour and salt.

Cut in:
1/3 cup shortening (if you rinse the measuring cup with cold water first, it will help the shortening to come out easier)
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus a few tablespoons more of 
ice water

 I keep a glass of ice water ready as I cut the butter into small cubes.
 Blend together flour mixture, butter and shortening.  Add ice water 2-3 tablespoons at a time until dough holds together but is still a little dry.  I think I added a total of about 8-9 tablespoons of ice water.

 Pour batter onto parchment paper.  Sprinkle with water if still to dry.
 Fold parchment over and press.  Rotate and repeat about 7-8 times to get a nice ball of dough.

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and shape into a circle.  Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.  NOTE: this is a must!  It makes the dough so much easier to work with.


 After dough has rested turn out onto well floured parchment paper. Turn to coat dough for easy rolling.  add another sheet of parchment and roll out.

 Place pie dish on crust and flip over to put crust in pan. Gently press in place and trim edges with a little extra dough on the edge.
 Turn top edge under as shown.  This gives a thicker nicer edge.
 Flute edges as desired.
 I cut little leaves and added a stem line with a knife to each leaf.
 I used a 2 quart jars of apple pie filling from here, minus a little of the syrup.
Arrainge the leaves on top and brush with egg whites.
 Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Let cool slightly and enjoy!

 This was a blackberry pie I had to put in a sqare pan since I ran out of round pie pans.  Still super good though!
MMMMmmmmm warm Apple or Blackberry Pie.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button