Friday, June 15, 2012

Rhubarb Crumble

I am a Rhubarb newbie.

If you would have asked me to pick out some Rhubarb at the Farmers Market 2 months ago, I couldn't have done it to save my life.  I've heard the word before, but that's as far as it went.

I can't believe I've lived this long and have missed out on Rhubarb the whole time!

 It's that weird Red Celery looking stuff, and it is SOOO Yummy!

I found this easy Rhubarb Crumble recipe that uses whole wheat and oats.  What a tasty way to incorporate whole grains!  Let's get to it!


Rhubarb Crumble

 Wash and cut up the rhubarb into small pieces.  I sliced down the center, then cut the other way about every 1/2 inch.
 You will need 4 cups of diced rhubarb.

Grind some hard white wheat.  I threw in some quinoa too.  You'll need just under 1 cup of fresh ground grains.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Filling:
4 cups diced rhubarb
3/4 cup - 1 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want it.  I felt like 1 cup was a little too much.
4 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp orange or lemon zest.  I used lemon.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

 Mix together thoroughly and pour into greased 8 inch square pan or a 9 inch pie pan.  Spread evenly.

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp molasses
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
 Mix topping together and spread over Rhubarb mixture.
 Bake for about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serve hot or cold, topped with Whipped Cream or Ice Cream, or just by itself.  You could even eat it for breakfast, or a special brunch.

Seriously!  It's that good!
Oh Rhubarb, now that I've found you, I'll never forget you! I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Rhubarb has to be the thing I look forward to most from my garden each year!! So many yummy things to make with it :) Glad you discovered it!

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button