Thursday, June 21, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Here's another super yummy Rhubarb recipe that has become my new favorite!  I made it for my family for Father's Day.  My family was a little hesitant because we are new to Rhubarb but it got rave reviews and I will definitely be making this one again and again!  I altered it just slightly from King Arthur Flour's Recipe.  Let's get baking!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

First Go Here to get the crust recipe and tutorial.  I modified the crust recipe just slightly by adding 1 cup of fresh ground flour that was a mix of Kamut and Hard White wheat, then added 1 1/2 cups white flour, to give a total of 2 1/2 cups flour.  My family couldn't tell the difference and I snuck in some whole grain.  Sa-weet!

Next wash and slice up the rhubarb into small pieces.  I sliced down the center and then cross-wise every 1/2 inch or so.You will need 3 1/2 cups diced Rhubarb.
Hull and quarter 3 cups of Strawberries.

In a mixing bowl combine the following:
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 Tbsp instant ClearJel (you can find it here, or at your local food storage store)
1/4 tsp salt
Whisk together, then add in
3 1/2 cups diced Rhubarb
3 cups quartered Stawberries
(frozen for either or both is OK)
Cover and let sit in the fridge while you finish getting the crust ready.
After making the crust recipe, let sit in fridge for about 20-30 min.  Lay out plastic wrap and sandwich the dough in between to roll it out.
I love this method because it prevents you from touching or adding more flour to the crust, plus clean up is a snap!

Put your dough in a 9 inch pan and flute the edges.  Cover the pan with plastic and put in the fridge until the oven is ready.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
When the oven is ready, pull out the crust and filling.  Put the filling in the crust, dot the top with about 1 Tbsp butter and using the left over dough cut out shapes and place on top of pie.  Brush dough with water.

Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is lightly browned.
You might want to add a cookie sheet on the rack below the pies to catch any drips.  I forgot that step and got to clean my oven the next day.  No worries.  Now I have a clean oven and pie.  Yessss!

Remove from oven and let cool for about an hour before serving to allow the fruit filling to set.



 Strawberries and Rhubarb!
The rhubarb holds its shape well and isn't mushy.

It was a super yummy sweet/tart perfect combination!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button