Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Babylonian Boy's Costume for under $10



Here's the Boy Version of a Babylonian Costume.
You can go back to the Girl version here.

Basically it is just a simple wrap skirt with some fringe.
Easy peasy.

Here's my design inspiration.
I really liked the fringe that graduates down the skirt.
It definitely needed something over the shoulder so rather than making a tunic,
I just added a sash similar to the Boy Scout Sash they put their Merit Badges on.
I just cut fringe instead of a solid sash.



Here's the simple wrap skirt pattern.



You can tell I didn't curve the top and bottom on the pattern when I cut it out.
That was a mistake on my part and I curved the edges later in the process.
Just follow the pattern above and you will be fine.


Again I'm using Freezer paper for my pattern.
Just use what you have and mark your measurements on the paper to create the pattern.

I'm using a beautiful Burgundy sheet I picked up at Goodwill for a few dollars.

You will need the Waist, Hip, and Length measurements for this costume.


Cut 3 of the skirt pieces.
I'm cutting them on the fold, but you can lay the pattern out flat and cut.
Whichever is easier for you.

For the front piece I cut a gradual swoop up one side of the front piece.
This will be the front of the skirt with the fringe trim.
Discard the excess or save it for another project.


For this costume I needed the 6 inch strips of bias tape cut
from the gold sheet.


I didn't take a picture of this step, but sew right sides together with the 3 skirt pieces.
It should be one long continuous piece.
I top stitched each side seam to finish and secure the seams.

On the straight side of the skirt, do a simple rolled hem.
The rest will have the gold trim on it.


Cut one piece of Red fabric about 3 inches wide, 
1 3/4 times as long as the waist measurement 
and press into bias tape.
Find the center of the strip and pin to the center back of the skirt.
Sew on bias tape finishing the excess into ties.
This will be how you put on the skirt.
I like this method because it's really forgiving 
and makes this pattern semi-adjustable
for different sized people.

Now for the trim.
This is going to be a little weird, 
but it will make a nice finish to the bottom edge without
doing a rolled hem.

On the skirt piece, right side facing up,
press a 1/2 inch up from the bottom like shown all the way around the bottom edge.



Now take your gold fabric and on the wrong side fold up 1/2 inch and press like shown.


This is kind of tricky but simple.
Tuck the folded edge of the gold inside the fold of the red like shown.
Pin in place.
Continue all the way around the bottom edge of the skirt 
including the gradual curve in the front.



Top stitch where the two fabrics meet on the gold fabric.
I did a double seam.

Now for the sashing.
Get two long pieces of 6 inch bias fabric of the gold.
Put right sides together.


Seam on one side like shown.


Fold over, wrong sides together and press, 
then top stitch where the seam side is.
I added a double seam.

Use scissors to cut fringe.
Mine are strips about 1 inch apart all the way around.


We just draped the sash across my boy 
and safety-pinned it to the waistband of the skirt.

Done.




If you look close you can see the ties we created at the waist to hold the skirt in place.



The sash is just pinned in place.  
I made the sash extra long so it is fully adjustable 
and adds extra trim to the costume.




Thank you my Babylonian Warrior!
Happy Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button