Thursday, January 12, 2012

Super Salad{s}

If you're like me you are trying to eat healthy-er.  I've been trying to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables.  Here's 2 of my favorite salads and they're a great way to increase your veggie intake.
I'll share the base salad then give you some add-in options.

Broccoli Salad


Chop 1 bunch broccoli or about 4 cups
 1 cup chopped celery
1 cup craisins or raisins

Optional add ins:
1/2 cup chopped onion, white, red, or green
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup salted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 1/2 cup green grapes, halved

Dressing:
1/3 cup light mayonaise
1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt or greek style
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp white vinegar
Mix the dressing well and pour over broccoli salad.  Stir to coat and Chill for about 1 hour then serve.

Cabbage Salad
Chop 1/2 head cabbage
2-4 green onions diced
2 Tbsp sesame seed 
(toasted is optional but yummy)

Optional add-ins:
1 pkg ramen noodles dry and broken up
2 Tbsp slivered almonds
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts or honey roasted (either are great!)
1/2 cup chopped celery

Dressing:
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp seasoning blend like Lowrys
1 flavor packet from Ramen if using
Mix well to blend oil and vinegar.  Pour over salad and stir to coat. Serve immediately.

I actually craved the Cabbage salad when I was pregnant with my 3rd child.  I seriously made it like 2-3 times a week.
Kido #5 is 4 years old now and 
I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button