Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pear Butter

I got a 40 lb box of Pears recently and it was fun to find some yummy ways to preserve summer's bounty.  Pear butter is another favorite, along with Pear Honey.  This recipe is super easy and oh so tasty.  Let me share how.

Pear Butter

Cut and core pears.  You don't have to peel them, just remove the stem and seeds.
I probably used 8-10 pears.  Enough to fill my crockpot.
Put pears, a few at a time in boiling water to soften the pears.  About 1-2 minutes.
Remove using slotted spoon and put pears in blender.


Blend in blender until smooth.
You can still see the Pear Honey on my counter I still haven't put away yet.


 Fill your crockpot with pear-sauce.  Add the following:
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tsp orange zest
6 cups sugar


Lay some butter knives across the top as shown.  
You want the moisture to escape while the pear-sauce cooks down.


Lay the lid on top.
Let cook for at least 24 hours or until desired thickness.  I let mine cook down about 1 1/2 inches down from where I started.

When it's done, add 1 cup orange juice and stir well.

Process in prepared jars in a boiling water or steam canner for 20 minutes.

Remove and let rest overnight to ensure a good seal on your jar.  Lable and store in your pantry.





Pear Butter.

Summer's bounty turned Autumn Spice!

Love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button