Thursday, December 20, 2012

Health-i-fy your Chex Mix!

I know we all have all these Holiday parties to go to over the next few weeks and Chex Mix is a main staple.  I decided to add a little super Whole Grain to mine.  It's easy and they will never know you are packing in some extra nutrition.  
I did a search for a Savory Oat Crunch and only found one.  ONE!  I couldn't believe it.  And that recipe came from the Lakeland Ledger August 1986.  I don't even know where Lakeland is, but I'm glad that we can search newspapers online now.  SO handy.  
I still remember doing research papers at the library looking through all the micro-fische.  
I'm really aging myself I know.

Any-who, lets get poppin'!  Literally!


This first picture is of Amaranth.  It's a super whole grain and is the funnest to use in my opinion.
When you heat it, it pops just like popcorn, but it's tiny.  We call it Barbie Popcorn.  I could try to explain how to pop it, it is super easy, but just watch this youtube video.  Much easier.  No oil, just a large hot stockpot and a spoon to keep things stirring.  Just be careful not to burn it.  
It stinks when it's burned.  Much like regular popcorn. 
Only cook 2 Tbsp at a time and stop when the popping slows down.  
It only takes about 30 seconds. 

The next picture is the Amaranth popped.  This is about 6 Tbsp of amaranth popped to become about 1 1/2 cups.
 I didn't use all that I popped but I'm saving it to throw on to salads, and I'll probably sneak some into some cookies soon. Shhh don't tell my family.


Once that is done assemble your ingredients:

2 cups Rolled oats (I'm using Honeyville's rolled 6 grain cereal)
1/2 cup popped amaranth
1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
1/3 cup grated Parmesean Cheese
1/4 tsp onion or garlic salt.  (I used Parsleyed Garlic from Costco)

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Stir slightly and bake for another 2 minutes.


Let cool on parchment paper.


Make up a batch of Chex Mix acording to manufacturers directions.  
I left out the pretzels because my Husband detests pretzels. 
 I love them, but since he will probably eat more of this than me, this time, he gets his way.

 Pour the Savory Oat Crunch into the prepared Chex Mix and stir well.

Serve.

Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button