Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baked Beans and Brown Bread

I love trying new recipes.  But I usually end up tweaking it to fit my style and tastes.  I'll give you both options.

New England Style Baked Beans

Soak 2 1/2 cups dried white or Navy beans overnight.  Drain off soaking liquid and put in a crock pot.
 Trim and peel 1 medium onion, leave whole. Stud the onion with 4 whole cloves.
(I didn't have any so I left them out)
 Cut up 8 oz bacon or salt pork.

 Add to crock pot along with the following:

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
10 cups of water.

Turn crock pot on high for first hour, then turn it to low for the rest of the day.  Stir occationally. After it was done cooking, I cut up the onion separately and laid the slices over the beans for presentation.  I think I will just cut up the onion and incorporate it into the beans next time.

New England Brown Bread

I liked making this bread because it was totally different than anything I've ever done before.  I'm not a big rye fan so I think I will switch it out for more Whole Wheat flour next time.

This is rye.  It looks close to wheat but longer grains and slightly different color.
 Grind 1/2 cup rye flour and
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

In a mixer combine:
1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1/2 cup rye flour
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

In another bowl combine:
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup buttermilk  (this can be made with 1/2 cup milk and 1 1/2 tsp vinegar, let sit for about a minute to let the vinegar work)
1 egg slightly beaten

Pour liquid mix over flour mix and stir until just combined.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Clean and grease either a 13oz metal can or a #10 can.  Pour batter into can and cover with tin foil.
 Place can in large oven safe sauce pan with 6 cups water, or enough to hold the can, but not make it float.  Bring water to a boil over high heat.  Transfer can and pan with the water into oven and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.  It's about 2-2 1/2 hours.  A long time for bread, I know, but well worth it.

Remove can from water bath and let cool for 20 minutes.  Uncover and unmold bread from pan. Let cool and slice.  Slather with butter and serve with beans.

 I served it with salad, and some honey on the bread.

 Different from the normal, but very good!

5 comments:

  1. What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this web page are truly remarkable

    ReplyDelete
  2. for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very neatly written article.

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button