Wednesday, April 25, 2012

BOPB-B! What?!?

So I had a bunch of bananas that were starting to get spots.  My kids won't eat them unless they are perfectly yellow, no spots. And I wanted something other than banana bread.  I found this recipe at delish.com and thought I'd try it.  I did modify it slightly to fit me.  Luckily the kids love them!  It's kind of a mix between banana bread and a granola bar.  Perfect to tuck into lunches or as an afternoon snack.  So here's the recipe.  Sorry there's not as many pics pre-production, but it's really easy.

Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt 3/4 cups butter or margarine
Cream together until light and fluffy with:
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp molasses

Then add in:
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 large or 4 small well-ripe bananas broken into pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
Beat until very well mixed.

Stir in 4 cups rolled oats. I used quick oats.
Mix until well blended.

Optional add ins:
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts like walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup craisins
Play with the options depending on your kid's tastes.

Grease a 9x13 inch pan.  Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.  The recipe says 50-60 minutes but I did 50 the first time and the bottoms were nearly black.  Maybe raise the shelf in the oven to higher and check for done-ness after about 40 minutes.
 Let cool completely, and cut into bars.


 I wrapped each one in plastic wrap.  Now they are ready for lunches or on the go.

Easy, Yummy, and you made your own bars from scratch so no preservatives!  Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button