Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Soaked Homemade Grape Nuts Cereal


Generally in my house Breakfast consists of either 
Buckwheat Waffles, or eggs and toast, or cereal.  
Usually Cereal when I'm feeling lazy or have too much going on.  
Which unfortunately happens more often than I'd like to admit.  

I know you are fixing crepes, quiche, muffins
puffy oven pancakes, etc. etc. each morning 
but alas for us those are saved for weekends when I have more time.

So when I decided I didn't want to buy boxed cereal anymore, 
I started searching for other kinds of cereal 
I could make from scratch at home 
that would be much better nutritionally for my family.
I've been making granola for a while, but haven't posted my new favorite yet.  
That will come later this week.  

Today I thought I'd share a wonderful recipe that uses my two favorite ingredients.  

Whole Grain and Milk Kefir.  
It's fairly easy to make, just a little extra time so plan ahead.

Here's my milk Kefir grains freshly strained and ready for the next batch.
I love these little guys!


My milk Kefir always goes in a Mason Jar.  
Usually in the fridge for a few days to let the grains do their job.  
If I need more Milk Kefir faster, the jar goes under the counter in the cupboard for 24 hours.  
They work faster when they are warmer.  

Hmmm... Kind of like me.
Maybe that's why I live in Arizona.


Here's the Recipe:

Soaked HomeMade Grape Nuts Cereal

3 1/2 cups of fresh ground whole grain flour
(I usually mix the grains, soft white wheat, hard white wheat, buckwheat, hard red wheat, etc.)
2 cups milk Kefir
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

We go through cereal pretty fast so I doubled the recipe, but this is for one batch.

Mix the fresh ground flour and 1 1/2 cups milk Kefir until well moistened.
Cover and let sit on the counter for 12-24 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
To the soaked mixture add remaining 1/2 cup milk Kefir, raw sugar, soda and sea salt.
Mix well.  It will be a soft runny dough like mass.  Don't worry.

Prepare a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.  I use Coconut Oil Spray.

Pour batter on to cookie sheet and spread out to an even thickness.
Bake for 30 minutes and check it.  If the sides start to brown, remove the pan and gently break up the dough and turn it over for even baking.
Continue for another 30 minutes or until browned to your liking.

If it's still too soft, bake a little more, or break up the pieces and put them in your dehydrator for a couple of hours to completely dry.

In a blender or food processor, place no more than 1/2 to 1 cup chunks of the batter and pulse to break up the pieces to the desired size.  It doesn't take too long. 20 seconds or so.

Store in an airtight container.

I like mine topped with blueberries.  These were frozen from last summer's harvest.
Still perfectly yummy!


Pour some whole or raw milk and enjoy!


So good!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button