Friday, September 6, 2013

Crock-Pot Peach Butter - Low Sugar



Yumm....
Still Peach Season.
I've tried apple and pear butter with fabulous results, 
but this time I wanted to try a spiced peach butter. 
Then make it low sugar. 
 I've been loving replacing sugar with dates.  
If I can go 'ah natural' I will try to.

This recipe is super easy to make.

I modified the original recipe from Pick Your Own.
She has a great site all about preserving nature's bounty, where to find pick your own fruit farms, and more.
So let's get started.

Spiced Low Sugar Peach Butter




















Since this is a low sugar version, I'm using dates.

You will need just shy of 2 cups dates.


Cover them with water and set aside to soften.
Wash, pit, and dice about 20 peaches.

Put them in your crock-pot.
I didn't peel them.
The original recipe says to peel them, 
but I believe there is extra nutritional goodness in the peels, plus I'm a little lazy.  
This saves an extra hour-ish of work to par-boil the peaches to slip the skins.  
If you don't want the peels, feel free to remove them.



You will  need about 5-8 more peaches washed, pitted, and sliced.
Don't worry about dicing them because they are going into the blender with the dates

When you have the crock-pot mostly full of diced peaches, drain off most of the water from the dates and pour them into a blender along with the other 5-8 peaches that have been pitted and sliced.
Add the following spices:
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
3 cups sugar
1 Tbsp Molasses




Blend well to make a puree.


It looks kind of like peanut butter to me, but it's the yummy syrup for the Peaches.


Pour syrup over the peaches and stir to coat.
Loosely cover the crock-pot.
You want some of the steam to escape but none of the splatters.
Cook on low for at least 12 hours.


This is what it looks like after cooking.
It has reduced down by about 1/3.


Use your immersion blender to smooth out the peach butter.


This batch yields 6 pints.
Prepare the lids and jars by putting the lids in hot water to soften the rubber.
I use a steam canner, but the timing would be the same for a water bath canner.


Attach lids and rings and process in a canner for 15 minutes.
Remove from canner and set on a cooling rack for 24 hours to ensure the lids seal.
Label and add to your pantry.


There was just enough left for a topping on my waffle for breakfast.
It was heavenly!

Happy Canning!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button