Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Simply Ruffley Scarf


I live in a house nearly full of boys.
And amidst all that testosterone,
sometimes a girl just needs to wear something ruffley and pretty.
This scarf is it.

It's from the fabulous fabric I found on my recent shopping trip to SAS.
You remember all those pics of the gorgeous fabric I found here. 

This time I did something a little different.


The original inspiration came from Pinterest, but here's the blog post.
But I didn't dye anything and I only did two seams rather than three.

Now let me show you how I did it.
It uses about 2/3 yards of sheer fabric.
Cut the fabric into 3 equal pieces like shown.
You will need the length as you gather it all up.


I did a rolled hem to join the three pieces into one long strip of fabric.
This hides the selvage and makes a nice hidden seam to join them.


Trim the ends to the shape you want.  I did a curved edge.
Then I burned all the edges with a candle the same way I did the Black and White scarf.


Next I used elastic thread on my bobbin to make the gathers in the fabric.
Remember to wrap the elastic thread firmly, but not super tightly. 
You may need to adjust the tension on your machine to get it to sew properly with the elastic.

I sewed two lines down either side of the strip of sheer fabric.


Here's a few close ups of the scarf with the burned edges and gathered seams.



And done.  Tie simply around your neck and
You Look Marvelous!



Some cute ruffles to dress up any outfit.

Lovely!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button