Friday, January 11, 2013

Sweet Canned Sweet Potatoes

Sweet.  I'm hearing Crush from Finding Nemo in my head as I type that.
Sweet...  Totally.

Today it's Sweet Potatoes.
These lovely, super good for you little roots need to find their place in my food storage.
I got a bunch of them at Market on the Move this week and I just had to save their yummy goodness.

I didn't really take pictures of the skinning and cubing process.  It's pretty self explanitory.
So let's get this done.  But be prepared it takes a while to process these beauties.  Plan on about 4 hours.
Of course you're not working the whole time, the pressure cooker is doing most of the work,
but you can't leave it alone either.  So plan some other activity you can do while the Sweet Potatoes are cooking.
Like Pinterest or Facebook.  I know you probably will anyway. ;)

Ok.  Back to business.

Peel and cube sweet potatoes and fill prepared jars.  Pack down leaving 1 inch headspace.

Make a light syrup.  The Ball book says 2 1/4 cups sugar to 5 1/4 cups water.  I used my 2 quart pitcher and added 4 cups sugar the water that nearly filled the pitcher.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.

Pour over cubed sweet potatoes to fill jar.


I added 1/4 tsp cinnamon to one batch of sweet potatoes.
I usually add it to them anyway and thought I'd add it in advance.


 Prepare lids and rings in hot water.




Attach lids and rings.
Place in pressure canner.
Make sure water covers the tops of the jars.
Place lid on and process at 10 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes.
Remove from heat by lifting canner.
Don't slide it on your smooth top stove as it may damage it.
Let pressure drop naturally.
Remove lid facing away from you.
Place jars on a wire rack to cool.
Let sit 24 hours.
Lable and add to your pantry.

One more batch of Beautiful Sweet Potatoes in my pantry done!

Come back tomorrow.  It's going to be Grapefruit Juice.
Then back to crafting with scarves next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button